Terms and conditions of use
National edeposit (NED) is an online service for the deposit, management, discovery, delivery and preservation of published electronic material across Australia. It is a joint digital collection of the NED member libraries hosted by the National Library of Australia and managed by the member libraries. NED member libraries are the National Library of Australia, State Library of Queensland, State Library Victoria, State Library of New South Wales, State Library of South Australia, State Library of Western Australia, Libraries Tasmania, Libraries ACT and Northern Territory Library.
The following terms and conditions apply if you deposit electronic publications and accompanying metadata to NED using any method of deposit, including by a registered publisher account, via the guest option, bulk deposit, by email, or with the assistance of a member library.
Deposits must only be made by a person with the power and authority (including from relevant copyright holders) to deposit publications, nominate access conditions and grant licences.
Material deposited to NED will be hosted by the National Library of Australia and made available at NED member libraries in adherence with the Copyright Act 1968, relevant jurisdictional legislation, and the nominated access conditions.
By depositing, you grant an express licence to and authorise NED member libraries to use the publication as permitted by the relevant legislation, including the Copyright Act 1968 and legal deposit laws. This may include but is not limited to:
- making and transferring copies of publications to and from the National Library of Australia and applicable member libraries for the purposes of forming part of that member’s collection, preservation, access and back-up. In most jurisdictions, these are requirements or rights under law (see legal deposit obligations)
- upgrading and migrating file formats of publications to enable long-term access and digital preservation
- providing public access to deposited content consistent with the Copyright Act 1968 and legal deposit laws and otherwise in accordance with the access conditions nominated by depositors, noting that these access conditions cannot reduce or restrict rights under legislation.
As part of collection management practices, member libraries will:
- review deposits in accordance with the NED Content Policy
- make content searchable and descriptive metadata available via a range of discovery platforms, including Trove, member library catalogues and search engines.
Member libraries are not responsible for any errors, omissions or legal infringements in deposited electronic publications or publisher-provided metadata.
Member libraries are not liable for any loss, injury, claim, liability or damage of any kind resulting from or in connection with your use of, or inability to use, NED to deposit electronic publications and accompanying metadata.
You indemnify member libraries from and against any or all third-party claims, demands, liabilities, costs or expenses, including reasonable legal fees, resulting from any breach of these terms and conditions of use by you. You must cooperate as fully as reasonably required in the defence of any such action.
Member Libraries reserve the right to change, modify or amend these terms and conditions.
If you are unable to deposit, or have questions or comments contact us at email@example.com